During testing of the new deck create feature in Konquest, a bug erased the master CardList. Granted the list was not huge approximately 137 cards, each card has about 14 variables, and then text. The file is in XML format, fortunately we did have a copy saved elsewhere. This copy lacks some of the newer variables we added to the cards, but it has the complete list.
Trying to make games and software has led me to a lot of unfinished projects. Even those projects have moved me forward. Most of my earlier projects amounted to me learning one thing then losing interest.
I learned how to use transparency and animation.
Then how to sync walking animations to movement, that was when this project lost interest for me.
Next I learned how to make really nice collision detection.
I can keep going and going, but to the point each of these unfinished projects were huge endeavors I wanted to take. Instead of starting small I wanted to go big, in the end each one ended small. I may have failed to finish the projects but they are not failures. Everything I learned from each of them is what I am trying to build on today.
I think projects to focus on one or two particular areas until you feel good with them is not a bad way to learn. Set manageable goals and projects that amount to something larger in the end.
My last post on the website was August of 2018, during the time away I have been hard at work. Remnants was put on hold to focus on a much larger project that was planned for a long time. The work on Remnants and the Kaidex was key to my being confident enough to attempt the current main project. We have also gone through a name change, crystaleyes software was just a working title.
The new project, is a card game currently called Konquest. The name is subject to change, I started the concept for the game in 2011 as a physical game to pitch. But it was lost in a spiral for years until 2017, when I found the old book. At that time I as not comfortable enough as a programmer to attempt to create the game.(I think it may have been Impostors Syndrome) After hitting roadblocks in Remnants and losing interest in Kaiju when King of the Monsters was released, I decided I needed a new project so I jumped in.
The image above is a test of the field layout. More info about Konquest will be up in the near future. This includes a lot of world building lore and history for the game. All the card art and backgrounds are place holder at the moment.